My Great God

My Great God
This is what the Lord says:"Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord"- Jeremiah 17:5

Saturday, February 5, 2011

I have hit the ground runnin!

So I have been in school for 2 weeks and I love it! I am in over my head in homework, but I love my assignments! So I figured why not just post some assignments that I am majorly benefiting form, maybe you will too? In my New Testament class, I have to outline Romans to Revelation. These outlines are segmented and assigned to us. So I have posted one outline. I would love your feedback... call me out if I'm a heretic... Or just pray for me. =) The Lord is so good. 


“I am my own worst Enemy”
Romans 7:14-25

Analysis:
            Paul understands that he has a battle raging in his heart. He knows he has been given life by the spirit, yet at the same time he carries around this “body of death” since he is still in this unredeemed world. Paul laments over his sin revealing his true desire to please God by not sinning. He acknowledges that because of his flesh nothing good dwells in him, he doesn’t have the ability to carry out the good he wants to do, and that he keeps on doing the evil he doesn’t want to do. Any believer can relate to Paul’s cries since He is simply describing the very fight between the flesh and Spirit.
            This battle is not to be fought alone. The soldier needs a deliverer. Left to us, every believer would live as if he was captive. The flesh is natural for all men to live according to. No man can deliver himself from the enemy since every good thought is followed by evil. This world is wicked and every man is wretched. Man does not conquer the enemy within before coming to the deliverer. Man needs a deliverer from the enemy within (himself). This deliverer is Jesus Christ, the Lord! The deliverer doesn’t promise relief and immediate rescue resulting in an easier existence; his deliverance is given through Jesus’ gift of forgiveness. Our minds are made new and the battle rages on against our very own flesh for the glory of Jesus Christ.

Response:
           
             Sinfully, I am a legalist at heart. I love to think that if I win the battle of my flesh that I will earn more favor with God. I fight the battle in my own strength thinking that I can and that I have to be the one to do it. This is my flesh poking its ugly head at me disguised as humility. This pride is seen when I am so disappointed by my sin.  I actually think I can fight this battle on my own. Meaning, I think I can show myself my own sin and figure out how to stop doing it. This is a fundamental lie I believe. As I try to kill sin by my own “goodwill” it leads to a rollercoaster of self-righteous pride. Swinging from superiority pride by choosing to do what’s right and then to pride of inferiority if I don’t choose what is right.  Scripture reminds me that I am saved by grace, period. I am also sanctified by His grace. He is the bridegroom that initiates and pursues His bride.
The Lord is constantly reminding me that I am not in control, nor is the battle of sin about me. This self-centered way of thinking, even thought it’s about the battle of sin, is sin in and of itself.  Since when is overcoming sin all about making me look better, feel better, and improve my life? My motive for killing sin has been all about me, making my life easier. This leads me to repent because Christ is not being worshipped, I am. Paul delights in the Law of God, because he loves God! He knows Jesus and understands the massive cost Christ had to pay to redeem Him. That no matter what he does, good or bad, he cannot separate himself from Christ’s love. All merit earning is thrown out the window and grace is all we live by. How was it that my name, Laura Stone, got brought us in the Trinitarian conversation before time began? What freedom I have to live for the pleasure of my Savior.  

3 comments:

  1. Lo,
    Awesome! I LOVE reading what you write! Praise the Lord He is giving you the desire to go to school with excellence!!!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur. Laura Jean...I for one am glad you are in school challenging yourself and your walk with the Lord. It encourages me to spend more time studying the Truth. Thanks! Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura! i just found your blog via Julie's blog :) This is so encouraging and convicting! I can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete